Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

All creatures great and small...

Around here, there are a few critters, and creatures, to say the least. We have the usual instigators, mice, rats, cats, dogs, spiders, ants, mosquitoes, and then we have a few that are not so typical, monkeys (large and small), pigs, goats, large lizard-like things, the list goes on...

I have had a little practice already of trapping and killing the mice and rats. Between my apartment, and Cathy's, I am becoming well-versed in the "how-to's of rodent extermination." And then, there are the creatures that you just learn to live with because getting rid of them is just too large of a task!

However, Cathy & I had a new adventure with creatures this weekend in the hill town that we visited. There were monkeys. There were lots, and lots, and lots, of monkeys.

We had already visited a wonderful little store at the top of the path and Cathy had gotten a Pop-Tart to eat. She had opened it and had eaten some of it, but wrapped the remainder and had it in a plastic shopping bag.

As we walked down the pathway, we saw an area that we had to pass through which had monkeys on either side. There was no way to avoid the monkeys. We had to walk through them. And, Cathy had open food on her! Not a good combination.

I had already told her the story of being attacked by monkeys one day when I was with some children who were eating peanuts. We had to walk through the monkeys in order to continue on our way. There was no other option.

Cathy was convinced, that because they were scurrying, they were going to get us. I told her, "If they come for the food, give it up!" However, after all of this, I am pleased to announce that we successfully passed through the monkeys without incident. There were several minutes that it was touch and go!

It just makes me laugh. I am convinced that the Father has such a sense of humor. We have certainly done many things since our arrival in country that were much more difficult than passing through a large group of monkeys, but it was the monkeys that caused us alarm!

~Heather

*Just a note to update you: I wrote and posted this entry this morning. That sense of humor that the Father has; it has in fact been apparent today. I spent the better part of an hour chasing a mouse around the kitchen. He is itty-bitty and superfast. He would go from under the refrigerator, to in the pots, to on the gas cylinder. After getting tired and frustrated, Cathy suggested that I Google, "How to kill a mouse." There were, indeed, many recommendations. The one that I had the supplies for involved leaving out oil soaked sponges for the mouse to eat, and that is supposed to do the job of extermination. Well, there were 8 oil soaked sponge pieces in my kitchen floor an hour ago, and now there is only one. Surely this will work, surely!

1 comment:

Jeremy Polley said...

That is pretty awesome. I wonder if you will get to the point where passing through the monkey zone is common place and you don't even think about it. I love you.

-Jeremy