Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

J-Nagar

My heart loves to teach. My heart loves a classroom setting. My teacher's heart is filled each time I get to visit J-Nagar.

As the afternoon comes, I'm tired. As I think about boarding the hot bus, I'm exhausted. As I walk to the gate, I'm dragging.

As I open the gate and move into the yard, 25 to 30 bouncing children rise to their feet to eagerly greet me. Somehow I'm not quite so tired. From somewhere comes a smile and an excitement, as I reach for my chalk.

These children, who live in a slum and some who have never been to a formal school, take out their tattered notebooks and broken pencils. Somehow, over the months and through my limited Hindi, they have learned to read and write English.

Their smiles beam as I praise them for a job well done. Their notebooks wave in the air, as I hear "M'am, Ji! M'am, Ji!," to receive my glance over their work and a word of approval. Their faces light up with understanding as they now sound out words to read a story from the chalkboard. "This is a true story from God's word," I say as I begin with the story portion of our lesson.

These amazing children are learning stories from God's word in their heart language, reading and writing them in simple English, and blessing my sandals off while they do so! How I praise the Father who ordains our days.

~Heather

*Would you ask the Father to show the children of J-Nagar His truth through His stories?
*Would you ask the Father to draw these children and their families to a saving faith in who He is?

5 comments: