Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Staying with Auntie



I spent a little over a week staying with Auntie, who lives in a town a few hours north. It was a long, HOT, sweet, encouraging, fruitful, hard, mosquito-filled week. It was one of those weeks that I have had to allow my stubbornness and unwillingness to quit push me through. You know, one of those, what doesn't kill us will make us stronger, kind of weeks.

I met Auntie on Saturday morning as we prepared to travel to her home. She was a gentle spoken, small statured, Indian woman. As we arrived home to Auntie's, I began to see the fiesty lady that dwelled within that little body.

Auntie decided years ago that she didn't want to get married. She didn't want to have children. She wanted to do what she wanted to do, when she wanted to do it, and still does. Many of Auntie's familiy members have become believers, but she very clearly explained to me, "that isn't for her."

I so enjoyed the opportunity to build a relationship with Auntie, now, the week was long and hard, but Auntie allowed me to become family. She allowed me to share who I am, the story of how the Father changed my life, as well as stories from his word. She allowed me to go to fellowship on Sunday, and she even took me to join the rest of her family for Sunday lunch, which was preceeded by a word from God's word.

Auntie had an opion about most everything and enjoyed the opportunity to share it with me. My curly hair needed brushing, my clothes needed ironing and didn't fit properly, my shower was taken at the wrong time of day, I should wear shoes when I walk on the roof, I should eat breakfast every morning, oh, the list goes on.

Auntie has a sister who lives close-by, so she came in and out on a regular basis. They very often wanted to discuss my marital status. (Now this is where my favorite opinion of Auntie's is shared.) Let me remind you that Auntie has decided that she will never marry and her sister comes in complaining about her husband.

As they asked when I would get married, I gave my usual reply, "My life is in God's hand. I want to have a husband and children, but it will be in his way and time." To this, the sister responded, "Marriage is very important." Auntie asked if I had a friend in America. I told her I didn't have a male friend right now that I was planning to marry, to which she immediately responded, "Are you looking? 'Cause if you are, you only have one eye open!"

I had to laugh. Oh, the irony of the marital advice I have received from a chosen to be single, Hindu, Indian woman.

Auntie has already called several times to check in on me and has made me promise to come by each time I head north. I will always be thankful for her allowing me to be part of who she is, thankful for her patience with my not so beautiful Hindi, and prayerful that she will one day call herself a believer.

~Heather

No comments: