Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Even when it seems it may be impossible...

Some say I am independent; some say I'm stubborn.

My mother would tell you that I am just like my father.

However, there's something my Daddy often reminds me of, "When your Mama gets something on her mind, there is no stopping her. You know that."

So, this week, I may be most like my mother.

Easter is my very favorite. It is hands down, the best holiday.

Easter means a Sunrise Service at the Teel's house, dying eggs with Ellie & Mason, taking a long drive with Sarah, singing Miss PattyCake songs with preschoolers, stuffing little plastic eggs, a fantastic day of corporate worship, but above all else, it is celebrating the Resurrection!

This year, as I have been preparing for Easter, I have known it was going to look a little different, but I have wanted it to be special.

I decided I wanted to have colorfully decorated, cut-out Easter cookies to present to my neighbors & friends as I share with them the story of the Resurrection. I had a picture in my mind of what this should look like (that's where Mama and I get into trouble)!

I only ran into a few snags along the way...
my neighbors & friends won't eat eggs or anything baked with eggs, the eggless recipe calls for cream cheese, I have only a glass baking dish, I don't have any idea how to find or make food coloring, I have never made cookie icing, and I have been down with Bronchitis all week.

But, when I get something on my mind, it will happen, or I will do my very best at making a valiant effort at it and may, in fact, die trying.

So, I have learned...
If you talk to the right experienced overseas cook, she might have an eggless cut-out cookie recipe.
If you drain plain yougart overnight through a loosely woven cloth, you might get cream cheese.
If you can explain what a cookie sheet is and what it is made out of and used for, as well as what size your oven is, in the local language to the worker at the kitchen store, he might round up something that resembles a cookie sheet.
If you talk to enough locals and the right store owners, you might find that someone does have coloring (other than hair coloring) for sale.
If you scour the internet, you might find a recipe for cookie icing for which you have all of the ingredients.
If all of these somewhat possible situations fall into place, you might end the day with colorfully decorated, cut-out Easter cookies!
So, indeed, the day has ended well. I have a kitchen counter lined with colorful, cut-out Easter cookies. I have worked on a simplified version of the Resurrection story in Hindi. I am planning to visit with neighbors and friends on Saturday in hopes to share a cup of tea, an Easter biscuit (cookie), and an amazing story.


~Heather

*Join me in pleading with the Father to soften the hearts of the people of M-town.
*Ask that He would allow my Hindi to be understood.
*Ask that He would guide me to the divine appointments that He has made.
*Ask that He would use these days to change lives for eternity.

3 comments:

~Sarah~ said...

This post is better than the whole Bakerella website!! I love you. I am a so excited about your weekend!

Unknown said...

On the one hand, your friends have no idea what a Resurection Day biscuit should look/taste like. On the other hand, you have just set the standard for Resurrection Day biscuits in their world view. When served with His Story,you have set the bar quite high for "pretenders" in their future.

What a special blessing to be able to pr ay for those divine appointments. Wish I could be there to see is all play out.

Terry

~Heather~ said...

Bakerella would never put such sloppily decorated cookies on her site. Oh well. I had help. Neesa loves to show up during holiday time, and she always has a few comments to share regarding the appearance and process that is taking place. She had a blast helping to decorate cookies. Needless to say, it usually takes a little longer and looks a little different when you have help, but having her want to be in my kitchen alongside me is counted a blessing. It is my prayer that the Father is truly at work in her heart and is drawing her to Himself.