Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

a teacher's heart

This teacher's heart often longs to return to the classroom, even if only for just a little while. Actually, any teaching could lessen the longing.

I am in language classes three times a week, but learning isn't nearly as enjoyable as teaching!

I recently spent a day with a lady, Anna, who has around 30 children who come to her house each afternoon for school. The families of these children can't afford schooling. They range in age from 5 to 12 years old. Anna doesn't have any teaching experience, but she does love these children and they in turn, love her. I have returned to Anna's home from time to time to interact with the children and to assist her a bit in teaching. Now, rest assured, Anna doesn't speak any English, so our communicating is often a bit comical.

Anna recently had a baby. The baby is just beautiful. I had planned to make a school visit on Friday. Anna knew I was coming. As I arrived, a bit late due to a long bus journey, I saw the children seated in rows on a large mat on the dirt yard, but I did not see Anna. I asked Anna's husband where she was and he reported that the baby was sick and Anna had taken the baby to the doctor's office. The children were waiting for me to arrive, to teach them.

I froze. I didn't have a lesson plan. I didn't know these children's names. I don't speak the language of these children well. But, I was there. They were there. So, away we went into unknown territory for us all!

As I taught, they often looked at me with confusion. They sometimes didn't respond. But, as I began to affirm their answers and to give them my undivided attention, their little faces lit up with a sense of accomplishment.

My Hindi has such a long way to go. But, my heart lept with joy. I was teaching. Children were learning. What could be better?

~Heather

*Thank the Father for this amazing opportunity for my teacher's heart to be satisfied.
*Ask the Father to continue to increase my abilities to communicate in Hindi.
*Ask the Father to allow opportunities to share His story with these children and their families.
*Ask the Father to draw these families into a relationship with Him.

1 comment:

~Sarah~ said...

I love to read this post.