Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

the quiche is in the oven, well, almost

It has been a difficult week, to say the least. It hasn't been a bad week. It has just been full, and exhausting. It has been one of those weeks that has been all encompassing, there have been sweet times, stressful times, disappointing times, and refreshing times.

Guests are wonderful! I have had so many guests! It is so nice to get to have guests in my home. I have been visited by people from here, there, and everywhere!

Thursday, guests were coming and I planned to bake a quiche for lunch. I was pretty excited to try something new. Now, I didn't have a pie dish, and had unsuccessfully searched for one, but decided to carry on the search. On Wednesday evening I did in fact find a glass pie dish for purchase.

Now, the electricity is turned off from around 8am every morning until 1pm every afternoon. This usually isn't a factor, because typically guests come for dinner, but Thursday's guests were for lunch. Since I had planned to serve quiche and had indeed located a pie dish, I was determined to continue on with this plan.

I decided to get up at 7am on Thursday morning and bake the quiche. I would just serve it at room temperature. However, I was up quite late on Wednesday night cleaning and preparing for the coming day, so Thursday morning I was not thinking too clearly.

Just before 7, the alarm clock sounded and in my groggy state, assembled the quiche in my new glass pie dish. I placed it in the preheated oven, and closed the door. Well, I almost closed the door. The oven door wouldn't close by 2 1/2 or 3 inches. The glass dish was too big!

What to do? Well in my foggy state of mind, I decided that if I covered the opening in the oven door, it would bake just fine. Out of sight, out of mind.

So, I just draped a towel over the door and went back to sleep while the quiche baked. I got up and turned it once just before the cooking time had passed. The electricity was turned off a little early, so the baking time hadn't even had time to lapse. I just had to hope for the best!

I served the quiche for lunch and it was quite a hit. Necessity is truly the mother of invention! Who knew that eggs would indeed bake in an open oven! Just one more adventure to add to the list! Life in India is never dull...

~Heather

No comments: