Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A whole new ballgame

Why do we get so set in our ways and so spoiled to what we have? I think we do it, even without realizing it, until everything changes, that is. What are we entitled to? This could certainly be debated within and between many circles.

The recent move to A’bad has been a bit of a change. Things here are wonderful. Days are more laid back and nights are quieter (except for the wedding fireworks that seem to be sounding regularly). People are much more personable, the community is tighter, and the temperament is sweeter. It’s the part of me that just isn’t a city girl that loves it out here. But with the removed megacity atmosphere, comes the removal of so many conveniences and luxuries. I am spoiled to having access to the world by means of the internet, I am spoiled to a continuous supply of running water, I am spoiled to things just working, I am spoiled to running to Target, or at least the local market, to pick up everything I need for the week. A’bad is wonderful, but it’s a whole new ballgame.

Tuesday was a difficult day. It seemed that I was bombarded with one thing after another. I didn’t sleep at all Monday night. My language helper arrived early, so I wasn’t as prepared as I like to be. The internet was out. My mobile phone wasn’t working to send or receive calls or texts. The AC units, which are only run at night in the bedrooms, caused a fire in the wiring and the electrician had to be called and come to rewire the breakers. The wiring fire took out the AC units, refrigerator, hot water heaters, and water filter. The water filter was broken, and empty. I had a migraine, aided by the lack of caffeine since I had yet to round up any coffee or Diet Coke. The househelper was here and was frustrated by my inability to answer her questions. And we were completely out of water, drinking or otherwise.

The good news is that Wednesday came and, again, the father’s mercies were new and his faithful was and is great! The water filter is still not working, but we will manage. The house has been rewired and seems to be functioning more properly. The mobile phone is working. The internet seems to come on for a few hours every couple of days. The water tank pumps water when the power is on, so we know more will come if we wait patiently. I have found some coffee and Diet Coke, so no need for caffeine withdrawal this week. The househelper is trying to communicate and is so excited when it does, in fact, happen. The father promises not to leave or forsake. I know he is here. He is so faithful to be right there each time I return to him.

I have settled into meeting with a language helper each morning. Her name is Ari. She is a precious young lady. I just love her, already. She became a believer just a couple of months ago and has the sweetest spirit. I am introducing storying to her and wanting to learn to tell short little stories or story parts, in Hindi. She loves storying already. She is a really smart girl and has almost completed her education, so she reads and writes Hindi and English quite well, yet still is intrigued by the father’s story. I can hardly wait to see what the father has in store as I learn Hindi and Ari learns more and more of his story!

  • Praise the father for his faithfulness.
  • Ask the father to give me strength, especially to get through the difficult days.
  • Ask the father to grant language mercies that Cathy, Rachel, and I would quickly be enabled to communicate more effectively with nationals.
  • Ask the father for daily opportunities to share his love and his story.
  • Ask the father to bless my time with Ari, that she would be encouraged to share his story with those around her.

~Heather

No comments: