Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

House of peace and love

I have prayed, "Lord, make my house one that overflows with your peace and love. Use this place to draw people to an understanding of the truth."

What does a house of peace and love look like? I'm not sure it has a look. But, I know how it feels. It has a distinct feeling. I want those who come into my home to notice and feel that sweet presence of a Father who loves them dearly. I want them to yearn to know what is different about a household that serves the Lord.

I'm not on the side of the building that is full of women who bustle up and down the stairs and speak each time they pass. Don't worry, there is plenty of movement and there are lots of community members who stop in to pay a short visit and just to check on the comings and goings, as well as to get the lastest news. We provide great entertainment for the entire community!

I have hired a lady to come each day to wash the dishes and clean the floors. It takes her only a few minutes and she speaks no english, both of which are good things for me.

After only a couple of days, my house helper began sending her daughter to do the work. I learned that the lady I hired was a young widow with 4 children. She was working several jobs to be enabled to provide for her children. So, I allowed this 12 year old little girl to do the house work. Her name is Lisa. Most days both of them come by, at different times.

Lisa goes to school in the mornings and comes by each afternoon. Many days her mother has already come and finished the work, but I greet her and invite her in. I teach her a few new english words and she corrects my Hindi.

Her mother has also begun to drop by in the early evenings. She comes in to see if there are any dirty dishes in the sink and to see if she can help with whatever I am cooking for dinner. Lisa's mother has the sweetest smile and a confident spirit. She reaches out to hug me as she leaves. When Lisa comes, she doesn't want to leave.

Today I was working on the computer, and she sat with me copying english and hindi words from a language book I let her look at. She will ask me a question every so often, or want to show me what she has written. She just wants to be close. She wants positive attention. She likes to be here. She is learning some structure and how manipulation won't get her what she wants, but I truly believe that she experiences the presence of the Lord in this house.

This is what I have asked of the Father and He has heard my plea. Great is His faithfulness.

~Heather

*Praise the Father for His answers to our every request.
*Thank the Father for making me part of this precious community.
*Ask the Father to open the hearts of Lisa and her mother to understand and believe His truth.
*Ask that the Father would make this house to be one of peace and love.

1 comment:

~Sarah~ said...

I love to read this post.