Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

the change

As one of only a handful of foreigners living in M-town, it is quite common to be seen as somewhat of an attraction. I am often looked at with inquisitive eyes. Only the most daring of school children will shout a quick, "Hello!" or, "How are you?"

As I walk through the community, it is often my intent to smile and make eye contact with each woman I pass, in the hopes that, after a moment, I will receive a smile in return. When possible, along with the smile, I extend a Hindi greeting.

The responses of women vary. Sometimes I get a smile, sometimes a head-nod, sometimes a verbal greeting in return. But, always, there is a curious look in their eyes. This look says, "Who are you? Why are you here?"

Each day I walk down the dirt road that runs beside my new home. This is the path I take to get to the main road. I find women, children, families, and animals all along the way. With some, I have talked, with others, I have laughed. With many, in my broken Hindi, I have attempted to share a bit of who I am, and find out more of who they are.

Saturday was different. Saturday as I walked along the road, I received smiles. I received greetings. I received invitations to be part of the lives of those along this long dirt road. As I reached the main road, I smiled. My heart smiled. On Saturday, to those who comprise my new community, I was no longer an outsider. I belonged. I was welcomed.

Great is His faithfulness!

~Heather

*Thank Him for giving me a sense of belonging.
*Ask Him to increase my ability to communicate with those along the way.
*Ask Him to soften the hearts of these and to draw them to Himself, so that they may come to know the truth.

No comments: